We have introduced a ‘Skills for Justice’ accredited, 5 day BAI course to train both Devon & Somerset FRS staff and personnel from other fire & rescue services. This in-depth course teaches everything required to become a skilled and confident BA instructor. The aim of this 5 day course is to provide the candidate with all the necessary information, which will allow them to organise and conduct all aspects of a Breathing Apparatus session. Delegates learn practically by running their own exercises, where they receive feedback from course instructors and from the other course attendees; this allows the students to safely and confidently run an exercise of their own.
Who is this course for?
The course is aimed at delegates who are required to plan and deliver safe and effective breathing apparatus training. Students will learn through practical exercises, theory based instruction, e- learning and assessments.
- Medically fit and healthy – a medical form will be required
- Candidates must be competent BA wearers, who are working towards a qualification in teaching for example; Preparing to Teach in the Lifelong Learning Sector (PTLLS) or an equivalent.
- Be fit for operational duties in accordance with service requirements.
- Candidates must attend with full fire kit which conforms to current standards.
- TB 1/97 and the new Operational Guidance Breathing Apparatus
- Breathing Apparatus Set Description
- Physiology of Respiration
- Compressor Safety
- Set Removal
- Risk Assessment
- Pre/During & Post Exercise Instruction
- Management of the Risk of Heat Stress during Training
Assessment & certification
Continuous practical assessment. On successful completion of the course, delegates will receive an accreditation awarded by Skills for Justice. Candidates who successfully complete the course and their evidence portfolio will be awarded an SFJ level 3 Award in Breathing Apparatus Instruction.
£2063.00 exc VAT per delegate. Accommodation not included, but can be arranged on request.
All courses are booked subject to our standard terms and conditions for the provision of training, which include our policy on course cancellation.