The aim of the 5 day CFBTI refresher BTEC course is to renew skills enabling candidates to safely and competently plan and deliver theoretical and practical training sessions in compartment fire fighting, including flashover and backdraught.
The CFBTI refresher course consists of practical exercises, theory sessions, professional discussion and written assignments.
Who is this course for?
Open enrolment – Delegates should be experienced in compartment firefighting. For Fire & Rescue Service staff and members of Industrial Fire Teams, who are responsible for the delivery of training and development in Fire Behaviour and compartment fire fighting at all brigade levels.
- Have Previously attended and passed a BTEC level 3 accredited compartment fire behaviour instructors course or;
- Have previously attended and passed a compartment fire behaviour course run by one of the following providers:
Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Service
Essex Fire and Rescue Service
Fire Service College (Moreton-in-Marsh)
For those who have not attended a BTEC accredited course, evidence of eligibility for the course must be submitted by way of a small portfolio prepared by the candidate and comprising:
- A personal CV together with details of the current job role
- A copy of the course attendance certificate
- Evidence of continued practice in the field. The evidence in must be authenticated by a supervisor / line manager
- A statement of competence from your employer relating to the work area to which the BTEC refers
- The completion of a written top up assessment to demonstrate your current knowledge & understanding. The written assessment will be organised by the ‘approved centre’
Provision of authentic and appropriate documentation as listed above will count as 30 hours Accredited Prior Learning towards the total of 60 hours that is required to demonstrate competence. This evidence must be submitted by post 14 working days prior to attendance on the course. (N.B. Delegates who are unable to produce the relevant documentation will not be accepted on to the course.)
- Medically fit for operational duties in accordance with fire service requirements
- Delegates must be experienced in compartment fire fighting
- Delegates must attend with full fire kit conforming to current standards
- Be able to use Microsoft Office or equivalent office suite
- Science of fire
- Risk assessment
- Flashover and backdraught
- Container systems
- Small scale simulation
- Extinguishing media
- Branch techniques
- Exercise planning & control
Assessment & certification
Continuous practical assessment with full and active debrief of exercise. The learning outcomes are aligned to the BTEC Level 3 award in Compartment Fire Behaviour Training. Delegates successfully completing the course and submitting their evidence portfolio will be awarded a BTEC Certificate at Level 3 in Compartment Fire Behaviour Training.
5 days (Monday – Friday)
09:00 – 18:00 daily (courses may run later and some evening study is required)
Price per delegate
£1757.00 exc. VAT per delegate. Accommodation not included, but can be arranged on request.
All courses are booked subject to our standard terms of conditions for the provision of training, which include our policy for course cancellation.